Want to chat securely with friends and family? Telegram is the messaging app for you.
This cloud-based app offers end-to-end encryption to protect your messages, photos, videos, and files.
It’s available on all major platforms, including Rocky Linux 9, and is simple enough for anyone to use. Telegram also has advanced features, like bots that provide useful services right within the app.
In this tutorial, we’ll show you multiple ways to install Telegram on Rocky Linux 9 so you can get started chatting right away. We’ll walk you through each step slowly and clearly so you understand exactly what’s happening.
Without wasting any more time, let’s jump right in!
Why Should You Consider Installing Telegram on Rocky Linux 9?
When it comes to cloud-based, end-to-end encrypted messaging applications on Rocky Linux 9, Telegram stands out as one of the most efficient options. Here are compelling reasons why you should consider installing Telegram on Rocky Linux 9:
- It is free and open-source software.
- Uses end-to-end encryption (how it works) to safeguard your conversations.
- Compatible with multiple platforms and offers synchronized usage across all your devices.
- It comes with tons of advanced features (which would take another whole post to just go over it!).
Considering everything, you must choose Telegram on your Rocky Linux 9 for encrypted messaging needs. Follow the prerequisites and the installation steps provided to install them without issues.
What You’ll Need
For seamless installation of Telegram on Rocky Linux 9, you need to ensure that your system meets the following prerequisites:
- Have a reliable internet connection to download Telegram and run it after installation.
- Ensure your Rocky Linux system has the latest package manager version, ‘dnf’ (guide).
- To install packages on your system, you must have access to the ‘sudo‘ command or root privileges.
- Toggle on the EPEL (Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux) repository (guide).
If you meet all the prerequisites, proceed with the installation by following the below instructions.
How to Install Telegram on Rocky Linux 9: Step-by-Step
Step 1: Update System
Before proceeding with the installation, the first thing to do is perform a system update. It is considered a good practice, as it ensures that the dependencies you need to execute are up to date and that all your existing packages are updated. Here is the command to update your system:
sudo dnf update
The terminal will show which packages have been installed and upgraded successfully when everything is finished. Ensure to enter “Y” when prompted for the command to work.
Step 2: Install Telegram Using Flatpak
Flatpak is a software deployment and package management utility tool developed for Linux distributions. Using Flatpak, you can run applications in the sandbox environment provided, which results in isolation from the rest of the system.
Here are the steps you need to follow to install Telegram using Flatpak:
- To begin, you must install Flatpak on your computer. You can add it if it isn’t already there by using the commands listed below:
sudo dnf install flatpak
After installing Flatpak, add the Flathub repository using the command below, which hosts the Telegram Flatpak version:
- After installing Flatpak, add the Flathub repository using the command below, which hosts the Telegram Flatpak version:
flatpak remote-add --if-not-exists flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
- Now, use the following command to install Telegram:
flatpak install flathub org. Telegram.desktop
The installation procedure will start at this point, and you’ll need to confirm it by entering “Y” when requested.
If you find these steps difficult and are looking for an alternative process to install Telegram. Try installing Telegram using the alternative method below.
(Alternative) Step 2: Installing Telegram Using Snap
Snap is another package management system that helps you install applications across many different Linux distributions. Unlike Flatpak, it is an application that features dependency-free and easy-to-install applications.
Here are the steps you need to follow to install Telegram using Snap:
- To begin with, install the Snapd daemon if it’s not already on your system by using the below command:
sudo dnf install snapd
- Once you have successfully installed the Snapd daemon, enable it through “systemctl” using the following command:
sudo systemctl enable --now snapd.socket
- To avoid using sudo for every Snap command, create a symbolic link. Use the command below to create one:
sudo ln -s /var/lib/snapd/snap /snap
Note: The above command doesn’t generate any output on the terminal. All you need to do is enter the sudo password and ensure there are no errors to proceed further.
- Now, you can install Telegram using the following command:
sudo snap install telegram-desktop
Step 3: Accessing Telegram on Rocky Linux 9
- Once you’re done with the installation, there are many ways to access Telegram on Rocky Linux 9. If you’re a beginner, you can use the “Applications Menu” and search for Telegram to access it. However, if you prefer to open it via the terminal, use the below command:
- With Flatpak, there is an exception, and the command to open Telegram is different. Here is the command for Flatpak users to launch Telegram from a terminal instance:
flatpak run org. Telegram.desktop
What to Do If You’re Getting Installation Issues for Telegram on Rocky Linux 9?
It is common to encounter errors and issues while installing packages through the terminal. Even though they are worrisome, they are easy to resolve with the right troubleshooting steps.
Here are some common problems that arise while installing Telegram on Rocky Linux 9 and their solutions:
1. Error: Flatpak/Snap command not found
If the error “Flatpak/Snap command not found” appears, you have either installed them incorrectly or were unaware that the installation had failed.
Use the commands listed below to install both to resolve this issue:
sudo dnf install flatpak sudo dnf install snapd
2. Error: Can’t access Telegram
This is the most common and easiest error to fix, as the device fails to make changes after installation. For this purpose, try rebooting your system and then accessing the app again.
3. Error: Unable to reach the Telegram servers
This is another common error many might face, and the solution is checking the internet connectivity. To fix the issue, ensure you have stable and high-speed internet.
Even if the issues persist after the internet connection is fixed, it might be the problem with the Telegram servers themselves. There isn’t a fix for such a server issue, and you must wait a while before trying again.
4. Errors during Flatpak/Snap installation
There isn’t a specific error you might encounter during the installation of Flatpak or Snap. Usually, the solutions for these errors are installing missing packages or updating the system.
If none solves the issue, try searching for the error message online to find solutions. Even after fixing the errors, if Telegram isn’t working well, reinstall it using the below commands.
flatpak uninstall org. Telegram.desktop (For Flatpak) (or) sudo Snap remove telegram-desktop (For Snap)
In short, if you want a secure, feature-rich messaging app on Rocky Linux 9, Telegram is worth installing. The Flatpak or Snap options make it super easy to get up and running in just a few steps. If you continue to encounter issues with the installation, you can drop a comment in the Rocky Linux community forum or raise an issue in the Telegram GitHub repo.
If this guide helped you, please share it.